Confluent Kafka Golang Client v1.4.0 Release NotesRelease Date: 2020-04-08 // over 2 years ago
- Added Transactional Producer API and full Exactly-Once-Semantics (EOS) support.
- A prebuilt version of the latest version of librdkafka is now bundled with the confluent-kafka-go client. A separate installation of librdkafka is NO LONGER REQUIRED or used.
- ➕ Added support for sending client (librdkafka) logs to
- ➕ Added
Consumer.Position()to retrieve the current consumer offsets.
Errortype now has additional attributes, such as
IsRetriable()to deem if the errored operation can be retried. This is currently only exposed for the Transactional API.
- ✂ Removed support for Go < 1.9
🚀 librdkafka and confluent-kafka-go now has complete Exactly-Once-Semantics (EOS) functionality, supporting the idempotent producer (since v1.0.0), a transaction-aware consumer (since v1.2.0) and full producer transaction support (in this release).
This enables developers to create Exactly-Once applications with Apache Kafka.
The confluent-kafka-go client now comes with batteries included, namely prebuilt versions of librdkafka for the most popular platforms, you will thus no longer need to install or manage librdkafka separately.
👌 Supported platforms are:
- Mac OSX
- 🐧 glibc-based Linux x64 (e.g., RedHat, Debian, etc) - lacks Kerberos/GSSAPI support
- 🐧 musl-based Linux x64 (Alpine) - lacks Kerberos/GSSAPI support
🐧 These prebuilt librdkafka has all features (e.g., SSL, compression, etc) except for the Linux builds which due to libsasl2 dependencies does not have Kerberos/GSSAPI support.
🏗 If you need Kerberos support, or you are running on a platform where the prebuilt librdkafka builds are not available (see above), you will need to install librdkafka separately (preferably through the Confluent APT and RPM repositories) and build your application with
-tags dynamicto disable the builtin librdkafka and instead link your application dynamically to librdkafka.
librdkafka v1.4.0 changes
🚀 Full librdkafka v1.4.0 release notes.
- KIP-98: Transactional Producer API
- KIP-345: Static consumer group membership (by @rnpridgeon)
- KIP-511: Report client software name and version to broker
- 🔒 SASL SCRAM security fixes.