High-level command line interface for Git
Git Town alternatives and similar packages
Based on the "Command Line" category
Do you think we are missing an alternative of Git Town or a related project?
Git Town makes software development teams who use Git even more productive and happy. It adds Git commands that support GitHub Flow, Git Flow, the Nvie model, GitLab Flow, and other workflows more directly, and it allows you to perform many common Git operations faster and easier.
Git Town provides these additional Git commands:
- git town hack - cuts a new up-to-date feature branch off the main branch
- git town sync - updates the current branch with all ongoing changes
- git town new-pull-request - create a new pull request
- git town ship - delivers a completed feature branch and removes it
- git town kill - removes a feature branch
- git town prune-branches - delete all merged branches
- git town rename-branch - rename a branch
- git town append - insert a new branch as a child of the current branch
- git town prepend - insert a new branch between the current branch and its parent
- git town repo - view the repository homepage
Git Town Configuration
- git town config - displays or updates your Git Town configuration
- git town new-branch-push-flag - configures whether new empty branches are pushed to origin
- git town main-branch - displays or sets the main development branch for the current repo
- git town offline - enables/disables offline mode
- git town perennial-branches - displays or updates the perennial branches for the current repo
- git town pull-branch-strategy - displays or sets the strategy with which perennial branches are updated
- git town set-parent-branch - updates a branch's parent
- git town alias - adds or removes shorter aliases for Git Town commands
- git town install-fish-autocompletion - installs the autocompletion definition for Fish shell
- git town version - displays the installed version of Git Town
Since version 4.0, Git Town runs natively on all platforms without any dependencies. Check out our installation instructions for more details.
Each command can be
aliased individually to
town prefix with:
git config --global alias.hack 'town hack'
Now you can run
git hack instead of
git town hack. As a convenience, you can
add or remove global aliases for all
git-town commands with:
git town alias <true | false>
Git Town is configured on a per-repository basis. Upon first use in a repository, you will be prompted for the required configuration. Use the git town config command to view or update your configuration at any time.
- the main development branch
- the perennial branches
The following configuration options have defaults, so the configuration wizard does not ask about them.
the pull branch strategy
- how to sync the main branch / perennial branches with their upstream
- possible values:
the new branch push flag
- whether or not branches created by hack / append / prepend should be pushed to remote repo
- possible values:
In addition to the online documentation here, you can run
git town on the
command line for an overview of the Git Town commands, or
git help <command>
git help sync) for help with an individual command.
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the Git Town README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.